Traditional pesto is a sauce made with fresh basil leaves, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and pine nuts.
I have made it using cashews or walnuts instead of pine nuts, kale or rocket instead of basil, nutritional yeast or hemp seeds instead of Parmesan (or just no Parmesan at all) and well I’d never not use Olive Oil because I always have it and love it!!
- 1 large bunch of basil, leaves only, washed and dried
- 3 medium cloves of garlic
- one small handful of raw pine nuts
- roughly 1/2 cup Parmesan, loosely packed and freshly grated
- A few tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
you can chop everything but the oil with a very sharp knife and then mix with oil at the end or you can put everything in a kitchen blender and mix until you reach the consistency you like.
You can use pesto in so many ways, on pasta, chicken, as a dip, as a pizza sauce, potato salad dressing, on a sandwich, on vegetables and much more.
I’d love to know how you use Pesto, write a comment and let me know. 🙂